Montreal textile design studio String Theory, is connecting people through an innovative, interactive project called SUPERSYMMETRY. The online textile design platform allows users to design hyper-personalized scarves that can be divided in two and shared with a loved one. The project was inspired by the classic, heart-shaped friendship pendant and the theory of supersymmetry.
What is the theory of supersymmetry? It is a concept of particle physics in which each particle of the universe is linked to another by small, vibrating and invisible strings.
The SUPERSYMMETRY project combines digital technology and knitting. Users explore the potential of algorithms to create personalized, conjoined scarves that express their connection to a loved one. Knit as one, the simple pull of a thread splits the scarf in two allowing users to share their design and celebrate their bond with a special someone. One for you, and one for me. That’s Supersymmetry.
SUPERSYMMETRY is the creation of a team of seasoned artists and designers based in Montreal:
- Textile designer and Co-Founder of String Theory, Lysanne Latulippe, developed Supersymmetry’s patterns and oversees the creation of each unique scarf.
- Narrative Designer, Emilie F. Grenier, envisioned the bridge between craft, narrative and experience.
- Dpt, a digital studio at the intersection of film/gaming, art/code, and design/research, created Supersymmetry’s interactive web experience.
- Futil Design created the Supersymmetry exhibition design that will be used to promote the project internationally.
- Producer Vali Fugulin, who specializes in the creation of digital documentaries, games and interactive experiences, kept all of these moving parts in motion.
String Theory develops unique designs and produces limited edition scarves from their Montreal studio. Since 2010 their collections have been distributed throughout Canada and the United States in museum shops and independent boutiques focused on local productions.
As a textile designer, Lysanne Latulippe is passionate about knitwear. An expert in the math and physics of knit structures, Latulippe seeks to awaken people to this universe and share her fascination with them. Her work combines fine quality yarns with ancient and digital technologies to create innovative, contemporary textiles. You can design your personal scarf right here!